So here we go. #2 LSU (11-2, 6-2 SEC) vs. #1 Ohio St (11-1, 7-1 Big Ten). SEC vs. Big Ten. I guess this is the one we have waited, and waited, and waited to arrive. I freely admit that I am an SEC homer, but this one has LSU written all over it. Why?
LSU lost its two games in triple overtime. The SEC is better (top to bottom) than the Big Ten. Ohio St. made the game by not playing in a league championship game.
Historically Ohio St. does not beat the SEC in Bowl games. [Source AP]
- 1978 Sugar Bowl: Alabama 35, Ohio St. 6
- 1990 Hall of Fame Bowl: Auburn 31, Ohio St. 14
- 1993 Citrus Bowl: Georgia 21, Ohio St. 14
- 1995 Florida Citrus Bowl: Alabama 24, Ohio St. 17
- 1996 Florida Citrus Bowl: Tennessee 20, Ohio St. 14
- 2001 Outback Bowl: South Carolina 24, Ohio St. 7
- 2002 Outback Bowl: South Carolina 31, Ohio St. 28
- 2007 BCS National Championship: Florida 41, Ohio St. 14
So let’s say that history is own Ohio State’s side; I mean they have to win one against the SEC at some point, right?
How about this excuse from last year?
“Some of the holdovers say last year’s team grew fat and happy during the 51-day layoff leading up to the national championship game. Some say their teammates didn’t work out as hard as before and that the team’s focus drifted among all the distractions and hype.” [Source AP]
I guess Florida was not the better team last year. I wonder what the excuse is going to be this year?
2007 Bowl predictions: 23 – 8