#1 Georgia easily defeated Georgia Southern 45-21, but it was never that close. Georgia was up 24-0 at the half, and 38-0 mid-way through the third quarter before getting a little sloppy.
Uga VII (Loran’s Best) – Sic ’em
Of course when the competition is a Division I-AA team (or whatever they call it these days), you cannot really take too much out of the victory. There were a few stand outs on offense:
- Stafford was 13-21, 275 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs.
- Moreno had 112 all purpose yards. 8 carries for 59 yards (7.4 yards/rush), with 3 TDs. 2 receptions for 53 yards.
- King (backup HB) had 12 carries for 95 yards (7.9 yards/rush), all of which came in the second half.
- Walsh (unproven freshman) was perfect on extra point attempts (6 for 6), and on field goals (booted a 52 yarder).
Next week should be more interesting, as Georgia plays hosts to Central Michigan.
ACC Looks Pitiful
If #9 Clemson is the best the ACC has to offer, and #24 Alabama is a pretty good team (but not great), than woe is the ACC, as Bama hung the Tigers by their collective tails, 34-10. Ouch.
At least the ACC can take solace in #23 Wake Forests 41-13 victory over Baylor, and Maryland’s 14-7 win over stalwart Delaware. The ACC has to take their bones any way they can get them, because the weekend was not pretty.
- #17 Virginia Tech took it on the chin against East Carolina.
- South Carolina sunked North Carolina State 34-0.
- #3 USC walloped Virginia 52-7.
Big Ten Oh No, Not Again
Wow. Way to go Michigan. The Wolverines go down in their home opener in consecutive years. At least Utah is better competition than Appalachian State, but still, the former big boys of the Big Ten should win this type of game, no questions asked.
Michigan State going down 38-31 to California is not too embarrassing. Somewhat respectable, but I expect smash mouth football to rule the day over West Coast play.
Same for #20 Illinois, they lost 42-52 to #6 Missouri. No shame in that one.
Big 12 Follies
Chalk one up for the Sun Belt Conference. Arkansas State pulled off an amazing upset over Texas A&M, 18-14. How on earth does that happen?
SEC Shame of the Week
How does Mississippi State go down 22-14 to Louisiana Tech?