It did not take exactly 10 minutes by the time you add in the HDD backup and recover process time, but all in all, the HDD upgrade was smooth and painless.
The steps were simple:
- I started off by using my new 350GB Passport USB drive to backup the PS3. I selected the full backup option, which too ~120 minutes. After that I start HDD removal process …
- Remove HDD cover plate.
- Remove blue screw securing the HDD.
- Left HDD harness handle and slide to the right.
- Remove HDD from the PS3 system.
- Remove the four screws that secure the HDD to the HDD harness. Oops. I stripped one of the screws and had to use a pair of pliers to get it the rest of the way out.
- Replace system original 60GB HDD with new improved Western Digital 250GB drive (5400 RPM SATA drive is a must).
- Reverse the process.
- When I powered on the PS3 it recognized that I had a new HDD. I selected the format option.
- I started the recovery process, which took ~120 minutes.
Everything transferred correctly from the old HDD to the new HDD. All content, PSX and PS2 memory card save slots, game data, demos, installed games. Everything! Happy Days.